Macaw stolen from Wonder World Park still missing

Photo Courtesy of Wonder World Park

Wonder World Park is asking the public for help in recovering a macaw stolen March 1 from the wildlife park that is still missing.
Suzy, a 38-year-old gold-and-blue macaw, was taken from her cage. Suzy has been a member of the animal park for the past twenty years. Park operator Kristin Williams found its cage’s lock broken from the hinge.
Williams said the staff of Wonder World Park is devastated by Suzy’s disappearance and wants her home. The park has taken to Facebook to address the public and ask for help. They are offering a $1,000 reward for anyone who finds it.
Park manager Charlcee Cervantez said she was surprised Suzy was taken from the park without the macaw becoming frantic.
“She is an older bird,” Cervantez said. “It is easier for her to be nervous around new people without park staff around.”
The park’s Facebook page has been flooded with customer’s commenting Suzy’s tragic disappearance. They hope that it will be returned to her home soon.
“Horrible! Hoping we can locate him with everyone’s work,” a customer’s comment on Facebook stated.
The park staff is working with the San Marcos Police Department in order to find any sort of leads to where she could be. They have also been taking to Craigslist and Facebook to monitor missing animals or people selling pets.
“Suzy is a very friendly bird,” Cervantez said. “The employees love her. The kids love her.”
According to Cervantes, Suzy is an integral part of the animal exhibition. She is an active bird. She dances and always greets patrons with a spoken “hello.”
One member of Facebook has created a GoFundMe effort to help support Wonder World’s search. They have received $140 in donations so far.
Information and leads can be reported to Wonder World Park or SMPD. The University Star will provide updates as they come.