Texas State track starts indoor season with top marks

Texas State track kicked off the outdoor season with 17 top five Sun Belt marks and four individual first-place finishes at Roadrunner Invitational at the University of Texas at San Antonio on Friday and Saturday.
Junior Naomi Ferdinand started off the season strong by outperforming competitors from top Division I schools including the University of Texas, Texas A&M University and Oklahoma University in the long jump. Ferdinand took home the gold in both the meet and the Sun Belt with a season record leap of 6.06 meters.
Thrower T’Mond Johnson continued with the Bobcats’ solid field event performances by placing in the top three in both shot put and discus with throws of 19.43 m and 53.77m respectively.
The senior’s shot put launch currently ranks fourth all-time, putting him on track to potentially repeat his Sun-Belt leading performance during the indoor season.
Also setting current league records was Kyle Denomme, who took the bronze in the 800-meter run for a time of 1:52.31 and a top spot in the conference.
Some Bobcat athletes will compete in the 92nd Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays in Austin on March 27 before the team reunites at home for the Bobcat Invitational on March 28-30.