Texas State goes 2-1 in series against UCONN

Nicolas Fraze pitches to a waiting Husky player at bat. Photo by Kate Connors.

Texas State baseball went 1-2 in three games against No. 25 ranked University of Connecticut this weekend at Bobcat Ballpark.
While Texas State was able to light up UCONN’s starting pitcher Jeff Kersten with seven hits and three earned runs, the final three pitchers for the Huskies only gave up one hit and one run in the final five one-third innings of the game. The three-game series started on Friday with an 8-4 loss to the Huskies.
Texas State’s starting pitcher Nicholas Fraze (2-2) got his second loss of the season, giving up nine hits, eight runs (six earned) and walking three batters in four and two-thirds innings of work.
Texas State faced UCONN in the second game of the series on Saturday determined to put up a better fight against the Huskies.
Strong pitching performances from both teams led to a four hour and thirty-six-minute game that would remain tied until the top of the twelfth inning when UCONN scored three runs on two home runs and an RBI single.
Texas State’s sole run came unearned in the bottom of the sixth when Jaylen Hubbard scored on a SAC bunt.
Texas State came to the diamond Sunday determined to capitalize on the last opportunity to steal a win from nationally ranked UCONN.
UCONN took an early lead Sunday, but three runs in the third inning by Texas State would swing the lead in the Bobcat’s favor where it remained for the rest of the game. Texas State was able to add two more runs in later frames, eventually beating UCONN 5-3.
The Texas State offense was led by Will Hollis’ two hits, two runs, an RBI and two walks.
Senior pitcher Connor Reich (2-0) earned his second win of the season gave up three earned runs, seven hits, and struck out two batters. Reich was excellent at getting UCONN to hit into Texas State’s defense as he tallied 14 fly-outs and six ground-outs.
Texas State baseball returns to action against Rice at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in Houston, Texas.