Bobcat softball swept by Ragin’ Cajuns in first conference series

Freshman Jordyn Smith eyes the pitch before moving to hit the ball.Photo by Kate Connors.

Zach Lopez

Texas State softball went 0-3 at home in a series against the 11th-ranked University of Lousiana at Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns this weekend, marking their fifth straight loss of the season.

The Bobcats lost 1-6 in the first game of the series Friday night to the Cajuns, who churned out six hits and five runs in their first three appearances at the plate.

Junior outfielder Christiana McDowell was the only Bobcat to round the bases with a solo home run in the bottom of the third.

Two Bobcats managed to connect with the ball, including McDowell (3-3) and sophomore infielder ArieAnn Bell (1-3).

“We have to execute better,” said head coach Ricci Woodard. “We need to be able to execute our pitches and hit our locations.”

In game two of the series, Texas State lost 3-5 despite scoring three runs on five hits.

Louisiana started the top of the second inning with two hits and one earned run. The Bobcats answered back by earning three runs on two hits at the bottom of the inning.

The Cajuns tied the game back up in the top of the fourth before toppling the Bobcats with two deciding runs in the sixth and seventh innings.

Texas State finished the series Sunday with a 4-7 loss against the Ragin’ Cajuns.

After an early lead from the Cajuns, the team came back with four runs in the bottom of the fifth, but it proved too little too late for the Bobcats.

Texas State will travel to Mobile, Alabama, next weekend to face the South Alabama Jaguars.