The Junction residents face unwarranted charges by management

The Junction San Marcos has just undergone new management.Photo by Cameron Hubbard

The Junction San Marcos has just undergone new management.

Photo by Cameron Hubbard

Photo by Cameron Hubbard

Photo by Cameron Hubbard

Laura Montelongo

Residents of The Junction apartments received a two-days notice Feb. 27 that they would be back charged six months of water and sewage expenses despite a lease stating otherwise.

Just a few days earlier, Feb. 20, an email was sent out stating the complex was under new management but the current lease would remain in “full force.” With confusion and fury rising through the roofs, residents spoke out about the unfairness.

Eunice Arcos, political science senior, shared her frustration with The Junction on Twitter by posting photos of The Junction’s emails alongside her lease.

“IF YOU LIVE IN [San Marcos] DO NOT SIGN WITH THEM AND IF YOU ARE A CURRENT RESIDENT, DO NOT PAY THIS. We will not be taken advantage of!”

“They emailed us stating we were going to get charged six months worth of water and utilities when, in the lease, it states these two things are furnished by the complex,” Arcos said.

Under utilities and services in Arcos’ lease agreement, it stated: “Landlord agrees to furnish water, sewer, pest control, trash removal, and a cable TV/Internet package, for the Unit.”

Arcos said she and her roommates are being charged $358 for their water and sewage from the last six months, but the rate varies from unit to unit depending on usage.

Mark Evans, The Junction’s San Marcos manager declined to comment on the situation specifically, but spokesperson Mark Evans said the email was sent out by the previous management.

“We just assumed management of this property on March 4, and we have a much different approach than the previous management company,” Evans said. “In fact, we pride ourselves, and have been recognized for, the service we provide to our residents.”

Payment plans are being offered to residents, and Evans said they are seeking fair outlooks for all residents. Residents are unsure of what consequences they will face if the fee is unpaid.

Evans said most leases signed will take place online without the involvement of management unless management is reached out to.

Texas State University’s Office of the Attorney for Students reviews leases for students and can help students understand their rights and responsibilities under any given lease or contract.

“I don’t foresee eviction being an issue,” Evans said. “Eviction is a very extreme measure and always the last resort for any property.”

The University Star will continue to update this story as information becomes available.

1 Comment

One Response to “The Junction residents face unwarranted charges by management”

1. Evelyn on March 25th, 2019 11:46 am

These apartments are awful. My husband has had endless headaches because of them. He paid off his lease and moved out when we got married and over six months later they told him he owed all of this money from utilities. He has dealt with the management several times and they don’t care about their residents. They gave his information to a collections company without even speaking to him.

• The Junction residents face unwarranted charges by management

Former teacher at San Marcos High School wanted for sexual assault

Kerbey Lane Café to take over Saltgrass Steakhouse location

News

Hiring a part-time immigration attorney proves to be a year long process

Canvas replaces TRACS

Texas State student pronounced dead after an apparent drowning