Baseball goes 2-1 at Shriners Hospital for Children College Classic

Texas State Sports Information

Bobcat Ballpark

Texas State’s baseball team traveled to Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas this weekend to take part in the 2019 Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic.
The Bobcats defeated the Rice University Owls 1-0 in the first game of the tournament. The game remained scoreless until the top of the seventh inning when a double off the bat of junior Will Hollis brought Jaylen Hubbard home for an unearned run.
Junior pitcher Nicholas Fraze allowed one hit and no runs in seven innings, striking out 12 batters overall and bringing his season record to 2-1. Getting the save was Brent Hebert who struck out two batters in one inning of work.
Texas State brought in another win Saturday morning against the University of Houston, scoring nine runs on 16 hits for a 9-4 finish.
Junior infielder Jaxon Williams lead the way offensively with three hits, four RBIs and two runs in five plate appearances.
Redshirt sophomore pitcher Hunter McMahon earned the win in six innings of work, allowing six hits, three earned runs and five strikeouts.
Texas State finished the tournament with a close loss against 12th-ranked Baylor who stole the win with a ninth-inning comeback.
Jaylen Hubbard and Skyler Valentine lead the Bobcat’s offense, each turning in three hits, one RBI and one run.
Texas State held Baylor behind from the fourth inning to the ninth inning. With two outs and two strikes into the final inning, Baylor turned in a last-second two-run ninth to take the lead from Texas State for a 5-4 finish.
Texas State will return to the diamond at 6 p.m. Tuesday to face the University of Texas at San Antonio at UTSA.