Texas State splits four game USF Rawlings Invitational

Photo Courtesy of sports information.

The Texas State Bobcats closed their weekend with a shutout loss to the University of South Florida Bulls, splitting the four-game USF Rawlings Invitational.
Texas State opened the tournament with an impressive 17-5 win over the Virginia Tech Hokies.
Virginia Tech jumped out to an early 3-0 lead before the Bobcats erupted with a 14-run fourth inning, putting them firmly in the lead. Texas State added three more insurance runs in the fifth inning, sealing the victory.
In their impressive fourth inning, the Bobcats had 19 players make a plate appearance, with 10 walks and three batters plating off hits.
Junior Cristiana McDowell, sophomores Tara Oltman and ArieAnn Bell and freshmen Molly Damiani and Jordyn Smith, earned the Bobcats six runs, with Oltman counting for two. Junior pitcher Dalilah Barerra earned the the win.
The Bobcats split games two and three of the tournament in a back-to-back double header on day two of the event.
Game two of the invitational saw Virginia Tech best the Texas State, returning the favor from the day before, blowing the Bobcats out 10-0
Despite earning six hits, the Bobcats were unable to generate offense. Sophomore pitcher Meagan King earned the loss, allowing eight hits in four and 2/3 innings.
Rebounding from their blowout loss, the Texas State earned a 4-3 victory over the University of South Florida Bulls.
It was in the top of the fourth when junior infielder Hailey MacKay jump started the Bobcats offense with a two-run homer. Junior catcher Haleigh Davis followed suit, knocking out her own two-run homer.
Despite allowing the Bulls to get within one run, the Bobcats defense held on to escape with a win. Dalilah Barerra walked away with the win, earning her second victory of the weekend.
Texas State’s offensive troubles surfaced again in the final game of the event as the USF Bulls took down the Bobcats 3-0.
In their loss, the Texas State lineup only generated three hits. This was the second time in three games the Bobcats were shutout after scoring at least two runs in each of their first 11 games.
Dalilah Barerra earned the loss, going 2-1 over the three day event. With the split, Texas State moves to 7-7 overall.
The Bobcats will take part in the 2019 Houston Red and White Showcase, opening the event against the DePaul Blue Devils Mar. 1.