Women’s basketball takes down the Ragin’ Cajuns

WOMENS MID SEASON BASKETBALL

Texas State women’s basketball team defeated the Louisiana Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns 71-65 increasing their current win streak to four. Texas State is now 8-7 in conference and 13-14 overall.
Senior guard Toshua Leavitt and junior forward Jazza Johns lead the Bobcats in scoring with 40 combined points. Leavitt went 6-of-11 from the three-point line and lead Texas State in scoring with 28 points. The Bobcats shot 44% (8-18) from behind the arc and shot 48% (27-56) in the paint.
The Cajuns took control of the offense early with 34-29 lead going into halftime. Freshman guard Brandi Williams led the team with 14 points and 4 rebounds going into the half.
The Bobcats came out after the half starting with an offensive rebound by Johns. Leavitt dropped three 3-pointers and Texas State came ahead 48-42 with 3:17 left in the third.
Louisiana went on an 8-0 scoring run to take the lead over the Bobcats 50-48 with 10 minutes left to play.
The Cajuns were unable to recover from freshman forward Da’Nasia Hood scoring the five points to start the fourth. Louisiana was able to get back within one shot at 64-62 with 41 seconds left but was unsuccessful. Junior guard Brooke Holle was able to help put the game away by scoring a pair of free throws.
Texas State will host Troy at 11:30 a.m. on February 28 in the first of a final three-game homestead to finish the regular season.