Texas State snaps losing streak against Arkansas

Da’Naisha Hood reaches up to shoot and score for the Bobcats in the Jan. 28 game against Georgia Southern. Photo by Kate Connors.
By Kate Connors

Texas State women’s basketball was able to snap a five-game losing streak defeating the Arkansas State Red Wolves 68-54.
The team’s last win was also against Arkansas State at Jonesboro winning 85-62 sweeping the series. Head Coach Zenarae Antoine said that winning “mini-battles” throughout the course of the game is what proved fruitful in the end.
“I’m really proud of my team,” Antoine said. “We won the mini battles like we talked about…..taking it four quarters, mini battle by mini battle.”
Texas State would go off on a slow start as the Bobcats would fall into a 2-7 run to start the first quarter. But the Bobcats would respond with a 7-1 run to end the first quarter as Arkansas State would only go 1-14 from field goals.
After a back and forth affair in the second quarter, Texas State would go off in the third as the Bobcats outscored the Red Wolves 23-10 and would be the difference in the game.
Leading the Bobcats was Brooke Holle with a game-high 21 pts. Three other Bobcat players would also reach double figures as Da’Nasia Hood, Toshua Leavitt, and Jayla Johnson would score 14, 12, and 12 points respectively. Despite not scoring, Kennedy Taylor would have a game-high 10 assists.