Bobcats fall to Road Runners in season opener

softball

softball

The Texas State Bobcats opened their 2019 season with a 3-2 loss to the University of Texas at San Antonio Road Runners.
The defending Sun Belt Conference champions got off to a rocky start in the Bobcat class tournament. Starting sophomore pitcher Meagan King allowed an early hit before striking out two in the first. King pitched a complete game but allowed six hits and three earned runs. King is stepping into the role left by Texas State great Randi Rupp.
Head Softball Coach Ricci Woodard said even though King fell short, she expects her to fall into Rupp’s role on the team.
“She (King) had a stellar career behind Randi in high school and you hope she comes in and does the same thing for us here,” Woodard said. “She was pretty consistent when Randi left Barbers Hill (high school) and we expect her to do the same thing here.”
Texas State jumped on the board first, Molly Damiani made it home on an error, scoring the first run of the game.
It was in the third inning when the Roadrunners stormed ahead, scoring three consecutive runs.
The Bobcats answered back in the sixth inning with an RBI single from sophomore infielder Arieann Bell that brought home freshman Cat Crenek for the score.
This was the first of two matchups against UTSA. The Bobcats will have a second chance at the Roadrunners Apr. 10.
Texas State continues the Bobcat Classic Saturday after a weather delay caused changes in the tournament’s schedule. The following is the schedule of games for the weekend:
Saturday, Feb. 9
11:30 a.m. Colorado State vs. Texas State
1:45 p.m. Colorado State vs. Abilene Christian
4:00 p.m. Abilene Christian vs. UTSA
6:00 p.m. North Dakota State vs. UTSA
Sunday, Feb. 10
10:00 a.m. Colorado State vs. Abilene Christian
Noon Colorado State vs. UTSA
2:00 p.m. Abilene Christian vs. North Dakota State
4:00 p.m. Texas State vs. North Dakota State
Monday, Feb. 11