Faculty Senate to replace Alumni Board member, discusses potential bully training

Faculty Senate met Wednesday, Jan. 30 for their second meeting of the Spring 2019 semester.

Photo by Malarie Ohrabka

Faculty Senate voted to suggest a new member to the Alumni Board of Directors and discussed a potential bullying training during their second meeting of the semester, Jan. 30.
During the meeting, Faculty Senate discussed replacing recently retired Associate Professor Theodore Hindson as a member of the Alumni Board of Directors. Faculty Senate will suggest to the Alumni Board of Directors that Regents’ Teacher in the School of Journalism and Faculty Senate member David Nolan be appointed as Hindson’s replacement.
In its meeting, Faculty Senate discussed a concern they received from a faculty member. The concerned faculty member suggested initiating “bully training” for administrators of the university to help the administrators “recognize and prevent bullying in their own behavior as well as others’ behavior,” according to Faculty Senate Chair Alex White.
Faculty Senate was invited to attend the 2019 annual meeting of the Coalition of Intercollegiate Athletics, held at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Tennessee, Feb. 23-24. After discussion, Faculty Senate unanimously decided not to attend the meeting for this year.
Faculty Senate will attend a diversity meeting Feb. 22. The meeting will be led by Araceli Martinez Ortiz, research associate professor at the LBJ Institute for STEM Education and Research.
Faculty Senate ended their meeting by approving the minutes from their two previous meetings as well as assigning policies to be reviewed by Faculty Senate members.
Full Senate will meet Feb. 20 for their second meeting of the year. Faculty Senate meets every Wednesday at 4 p.m. in J.C Kellam.