Texas State hires new police chief after months-long search

Laurie+Clouse
Laurie+Clouse

Texas State announced Laurie Espinoza Clouse as the new chief of police Jan. 8, ending a nine-month national search.
Clouse will begin Feb. 4, following former Chief of Police Jose Banales’ April 2018 resignation and Captain Rickey Lattie’s subsequent interim term. Since Banales has left, the Office of Finance and Support Services has taken the reins of UPD from the Office of Student Affairs.
Clouse served as chief of police at the University of North Texas Health Science Center for the last ten years and is a graduate of Midwestern State University with a degree in Elementary Education. She spent two years as a teacher before entering law enforcement.
Clouse also worked for four years as a police officer with the Wichita Falls Police Department and eight years as a member of UNT’s police department.
The new chief of police was selected following an extensive national search conducted by Spellman & Johnson search consultants.
The University Star will follow this story with a detailed interview and full article. Send questions you have for Laurie Clouse to [email protected].

• Photo by: Lara Dietrich | Multimedia Editor

Lara Dietrich, Staff Photographe