SMPD to investigate officer-involved shooting

John Richard Camacho, 27.

John Richard Camacho, 27.

San Marcos Police Department shot and killed John Camacho, 27 during a Jan. 4 traffic stop.
In a Jan. 5 press conference, Chief of Police, Chase Stapp said SMPD received a call around 9:30 p.m. from a concerned citizen about an individual shooting a handgun from a vehicle on South LBJ Drive.
The suspect was a passenger when SMPD made a traffic stop, after which Camacho exited the vehicle and reached for a pistol according to Stapp, ignoring police commands.
After police opened fire on Camacho, it was revealed that the pistol was a pellet gun designed to appear authentic. Camacho was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the vehicle was not injured and is cooperating with authorities Stapp said.
An investigation into the shooting will be conducted by SMPD and the Texas Rangers.
This is an on-going investigation. The University Star will continue to provide updates as more information becomes available.
Watch the full press conference below.

• The pellet gun carried by John Camacho.

• SMPD Chief of Police, Chase Stapp reveals information Jan. 5 regarding an officer-involved shooting. Photo by Carrington J. Tatum