Fraternities, sororities, UPD team up for holiday season

TSUPOA, Delta Gamma, and SAE representatives meet in preparation for Bobcat Giving Tree.

Photo by Porter Dewar

The Texas State University Police Officers Association has joined forces with Delta Gamma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon in a gift-giving drive to support local children and families.
The Giving Tree Program, based entirely on donations, aims to help lower-income families participate in the holiday season. This is not the first time Texas State groups have put together events like this, but it is the first-time Delta Gamma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and TSUPOA have worked together. The trio hopes to show solidarity and have a larger reach for many children within the Hays County community.
Jason Moreno, TSUPOA president and UPD patrol sergeant, encourages students, faculty and family to pick up the Delta Gamma designed ornaments from the stationary and mobile trees in the LBJ Student Center prior to any holiday shopping. The ornaments contain a list of items the Giving Tree Program sponsees need this holiday season.
“The actual ornament will be based off an application the family will be filling out so that they can request clothing, toys, anything the child needs or wants,” Moreno said. “With this being our first tree, we don’t want to over-extend ourselves. We want to make sure we get everyone we can and hopefully, it grows every year.”
Donations can then be dropped off in the lobby of the Nueces building or can be picked up by an officer anywhere on campus during business hours by calling UPD at 512.245.2883.
Delta Gamma and Sigma Alpha members were handing out flyers and utilizing a mobile tree in the Quad last week. The last batch of ornaments is currently up on the two trees located on the second floor of the LBJ student center and at the entrance of Alkek. However, individuals who missed out on picking up an ornament can still make online donations.
“This is a way to give back not just to Texas State, but also to the community of San Marcos,” Karla Disevo, president of Delta Gamma and interdisciplinary studies senior, said. “We do a lot with our philanthropies and have different foundations, but this is a nice chance to team up with UPD as well as another fraternity to give back to the kids.”
Zachary Watson, Sigma Alpha Epsilon president and construction science and management senior, said he hopes this event can show the good that Fraternity and Sorority Life brings to the university.
“There’s so much negative with Greek Life,” Watson said. “We’re hoping this shows the positive Greek Life can bring (to the community, it has good things to offer to the Texas State University and San Marcos community.”
A holiday party will be held Dec. 11 in the LBJ Student Center to host all the families and children participating. The program is slated to benefit approximately 55 children with hopes of growing next year.

• Christmas tree sits in LBJ, Nov. 26 for 1st Annual Bobcat Giving Tree placed by Texas State University Police Department, Delta Gamma, Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

Photo by Cameron Hubbard