Student Government condemns racism, opens parking at game for spirit organizations

Star File Photo

Photo by Jaden Edison

Student Government dissolved the Adopt-A-Spot Act at the Oct. 29 meeting and passed two new legislative pieces: Spirit Organization Parking petition and the Speaking Out Against Racism Act.
The Adopt-A-Spot Act was dissolved after a unanimous vote. The act was first enacted to make student organizations in charge of cleaning and maintaining assigned parking zones once a month. According to Sen. Bodie Fry, there was not enough maintenance for the Senate to keep the act.
Student Government passed the Spirit Organization Parking petition, intended to create safer game day parking for spirit organizations. As a part of the legislation, those in spirit organizations will be allowed to park in visitor parking.
The Speaking Out Against Racism resolution was meant to be initially read at this meeting, but the Senate voted to move it to old business, making it eligible for enactment. The resolution called for the collective condemning of racism at Texas State and also encourages the Texas State Administration to consider criminal charges for those involved with racism on campus.
Swipe Out Hunger coordinator Katelyn Smith spoke to the Senate about continuing its involvement in the swipe drive this fall, where students can donate their swipes to be converted to a monetary value that will be donated to Bobcat Bounty. Last year, the program reached 5,000 swipes from students and hopes to receive more this year.
During the meeting, two new pieces were read, including a bill to create a student leadership roundtable and a resolution to establish a partnership between Student Government and Fraternity and Sorority Life to host a philanthropy week in spring 2019. The Senate will vote on both at the Nov. 5 meeting.
Student Government meets at 7 p.m. every Monday in the LBJ Teaching Theater.