Senate swears in new senators, passes legislation, amendments to create investigative committee

Senator Preston Nieves answers questions Oct. 8 regarding the investigative committee legislation.

Photo By Cameron Hubbard

Photo By Cameron Hubbard

Photo By Cameron Hubbard

Photo By Cameron Hubbard

Student Government voted Oct. 8 to create a committee to investigate the Boreing-Becerra election campaign and swore in twelve new senators.

The legislation and all amendments were passed and Sen. Keely Freund was nominated by Sen. Claudia Gasponi to head the committee. The Senate will vote next week on Freund’s nomination. During the meeting, senators proposed multiple amendments to the legislation and offered clarification on the legislation’s language.

Sen. Preston Nieves, one of the authors of the original legislation, proposed an amendment to allow the Senate to end the investigation after 90 days if no evidence is found. Nieves also clarified the language on conflicts of interest in the initial legislation and said senators who actively campaigned for the Boreing-Becerra campaign or its opponents would not be allowed to participate in the investigation committee.

Sen. Adrian Cooper proposed an amendment to Nieves’ amendment to make the meetings not open to the public, including The University Star. Cooper said he did not want potentially false reporting from KTSW or The University Star reporters. He said his intention was to protect the reputations of those investigated before a conclusion was reached. The amendment was passed.

Graduate House Leader and Senator Ex-Officio Maël Le Noc proposed an amendment to Nieves’ amendment to put Vice President Alison Castillo in charge of accepting or denying nominations for the committee. In the original legislation, Castillo was removed from the nomination process because of a conflict of interest, but Le Noc’s amendment reinstated her. The amendment passed.

Additionally, 12 new senators were also confirmed and sworn in at the meeting. Senators were able to vote at the meeting.

Student Government meets at 7 p.m. every Monday in the LBJ Teaching Theater.