Texas State football bowl eligible for first time in nine years

Texas+State+Head+Coach+G.J.+Kinne+heads+towards+the+locker+room+ahead+of+the+game+versus+Troy%2C+Saturday%2C+Oct.+28%2C+2023%2C+at+Bobcat+Stadium.+
Kobe Arriaga
Texas State Head Coach G.J. Kinne heads towards the locker room ahead of the game versus Troy, Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023, at Bobcat Stadium.

With Saturday’s 45-24 victory against Georgia Southern University, Texas State football (6-3, 3-2 Sun Belt Conference) is now eligible for a postseason bowl game.

Per NCAA rules, a team must win a minimum of six games to earn bowl game eligibility. The win over Georgia Southern was Texas State’s sixth of the 2023-24 season.

The last time Texas State won six games in a season since becoming a part of the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision was in 2014 when the team won seven games.

The six wins does not guarantee Texas State a bowl game bid but instead qualifies the team for consideration to play in one. In 2014, despite winning seven games, Texas State was not selected to participate in a bowl game.

Texas State has three regular-season games remaining on its schedule to strengthen its resume to the selection committee to be chosen to play in a bowl game for the first time in program history.

For its next game, Texas State will face Coastal Carolina University (6-3, 4-2 Sun Belt Conference).

Kickoff between Texas State and Coastal Carolina is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023, at Brooks Stadium in Conway, South Carolina. The game will be available to stream on ESPN+.