Women’s tennis falls short at San Diego

The Texas State women’s tennis team had a two-match road trip in California at the San Diego Tennis and Racquet Club March 15-16.
Thursday, against San Diego, the Bobcats began the match winning two of the three doubles matches to give the team a point before dropping all six singles matches.
Joy Chia Ming Ming, junior, and Sofia Murcia-Rodriguez, freshman, began the day winning the no. 3 doubles match by a score of 6-4.
San Diego came back to even the score at 1-1 when Rishona Israel-Lewis, freshman, and Alex Jones, senior, suffered a 6-5 setback in the top-seeded match.
Ana Perez, junior, and Julia Navajo-Melendez, junior, killed the doubles point for the Bobcats when they scored 7-5 on the number two court.
San Diego came back in singles play when Andrea Fuchs, freshman, fell 6-0 and 6-3 on the number six court. Then, Jones fell 6-3 and 6-2 on the no. 4 match and also fell 6-3 and 7-5 against on the number five court.
All three of the remaining matches were decided in three sets. Navajo-Melendez dropped a 6-1, 2-6 and 6-3 outcome in the no. 3 match. In the no. 2 match, Israel Lewis fell 6-2, 2-6 and 6-2. In the final match, Perez suffered a 6-4, 4-6 and 6-2 loss in the top seeded match.
The loss drops Texas State’s record to 2-9 this season.