Greek life chapters face stronger polices and regulations

Star File Photo

Star File Photo

Star File Photo

Star File Photo

Greek life will be facing new regulations concerning social events, recruitment and more on its return.

No registered social events with alcohol will be allowed for fraternities or sororities not already on social probation until Sept. 1, 2018, according to the Fraternity and Sorority Recommitment and Reinstatement Program for the spring 2018 semester.

Fraternities or sororities with social event sanctions must continue to comply with those sanctions until they are lifted. The return of fraternities and sororities is dependent on chapter presidents, advisors and members signing the program terms, according to the program.

The Interfraternity Council will require all member chapters to utilize no more than a four-week new member education period, unless their national organization requires a shorter period, according to the program’s component regarding New Member Education.

Prior to the program, fraternities practiced the 365-day recruitment of new member education and recruitment, meaning anytime during the year a pledge class could be taken by a chapter and the pledgeship process started. The recruitment process depends on individual Greek chapters.

“All chapter presidents and executive officers will be required to complete a risk reduction training offered by the Greek Affairs Office,” the program stated. “This is an additive of the tailgate rules and regulations that were enforced in the later portion of the football season.”

A minimum of 75 percent of each chapter’s members must attend a training session on Texas State event policies and procedures prior to any social event, date function or tailgate, according to the program.

The part of the program that addresses risk reduction events, monitoring and training will depend “on the fraternity or sorority chapter grade point average from the previous semester.”

The number of registered social events in the new program will be as followed:

• 2.7 or above eligible to hold four (4) registered social events with or without alcohol per semester.
  • 2.5 – 2.69 eligible to hold three (3) registered social events per semester with only two (2) of them an alcohol social event.
  • 2.25-2.49 eligible to hold two (2) registered social events per semester with only one (1) of them an alcohol social event.
  • Below 2.24, will not be allowed to register any social events.

This is a change from previous semesters, which had a scale similar to the one above, but if the chapter had a collective GPA above a 2.7, the chapter could participate in an unlimited amount of social events approved by the Greek Affairs office.