Clegg responds to criticism at Student Goverment meeting

Student body President Connor Clegg listening to students at a public forum, Feb. 5 

Photo by Marina Bustillo-Mendoza | Staff Photographer

marina

marina

marina

Jakob Rodriguez

Following the march from the Fighting Stallions statue and Student Government’s public forum, Student Government hosted its weekly meeting featuring the highest attendance for this administration and a statement from the student body president.

Like other meetings, the public had to wait until agenda item eight to formally voice their opinions. Students and university community members stepped up to a podium and called for the Student Body President Connor Clegg’s resignation, taking up the majority of the meeting.

Following the 15 public testimonies, Clegg addressed the attendees.

“I didn’t come here to talk, I came here to listen and that’s what I’m doing,” Clegg said. “I have a hard time coming up with something to say right now, I don’t know if you’ve ever sat in a room full of people who hate you. But, like I said, I’m going to take everything that everyone said to me tonight and pray on it, like I said by the end of the week we’ll know what’s going to happen”

An emergency piece of legislation was passed to cancel next week’s student government meeting. In place of the meeting, Student Government will hold a debate in the LBJ Teaching Theater.

Two other pieces of legislation were read and will be voted on at the next Student Government meeting.

First, the We Vote Too simple resolution will ensure that polling places are on campus and accessible to students for the duration of all voting periods.

Second, a simple resolution which, upon passage, allows Student Government senators to become volunteer voter deputy registrars.