More businesses join Springtown Mall restoration

The Lyndon apartment complex is under construction, estimated to be done in 2019. Photo by Tyler Jackson | Staff Photographer.

Springtown Mall, a vacant shopping complex has undergone restoration since 2014. While some shops still remain vacant, restaurants and businesses are beginning to populate the area again.
Springtown, located at Interstate 35 and Springtown Way, has been largely vacant since Target, Best Buy, JCPenney and Bealls left nearly 10 years ago; some chose to relocate to newer shopping centers nearby.
Blaze Pizza and Summer Moon Coffee Bar opened new locations in the shopping complex. Blaze Pizza opened on Jan. 18 and Summer Moon opened on Jan. 15. This is the second Summer Moon location to appear in San Marcos, the other being under Ella Lofts, opened in September.
The restaurant and the coffee bar now join recent developments in the area like The Spot and Chuys. Chuys and The Spot opened its doors in September and October, respectively, 2016.
The departures left behind about 200,000 square feet of empty space. The vacancies were related to the area being owned by four different land owners.
Endeavor Real Estate Group completed its purchase of the Springtown shopping center in November 2014 and is continuing to utilize the square feet left behind.
On Aug. 23, 2016, the San Marcos Planning and Zoning Commission unanimously recommended approval of the real estate group to rezone 6.57 acres from General Commercial to Vertical Mixed-use.
The zoning change allowed the developer to build a mixed-use project featuring a mix of retail and student housing.