Women’s basketball continues winning season over winter break

Dabrasia Baty, a junior guard for Texas State, moves the ball down the court during a game against UTSA at the Strahan Coliseum.

Photo by Kirby Crumpler |Staff Photographer

The women’s basketball team improved their winning season over winter break with an overall 10-5 record.
The Bobcats went 4-3 during the break along with jumping to a 3-1 start in Sun Belt Conference play.
Texas State competed in five back-to-back away games before starting the new year.
The Bobcats began with a game in Huntsville against the Sam Houston Bearkats Dec 17, which they won 73-41.
Leading the way for the team was junior guard Toshua Leavitt with 25 points. Leavitt tied her own record with her seven three-pointers made in one game. The guard also moved to fifth place in Texas State women’s basketball history for a total of 158 three-pointers.
The Bobcats then competed in the 30th Annual Hatter Classic in Deland, Florida, where they lost their first game to Bethune-Cookman University 62-56 Dec. 20.
Texas State competed in the final game of the tournament the next day against Stetson University. The Bobcats came up short 61-54 to the Hatters.
The team then played against Appalachian State for their first conference game of the season on Dec. 29, where they began conference play 1-0 after beating the Mountaineers 69-54.
“I thought our girls responded well coming off the bump in the road that was the Hatter Classic,” Head coach Zenarae Antoine said. “It started in practice, I really liked what I saw from the team in our practice time. It is nice to start out conference play with a victory. None of these games will be easy, and today was no different.”
Senior guard Taeler Deer had a team-high of 29 points. Deer shot 72.2 percent from the field goal whereas Leavitt followed with 11 points with one made three-pointer. In defense, sophomore guard Brooke Holle led with eight rebounds.
The Bobcats continued conference play against Coastal Carolina on New Year’s Eve and dropped to 1-1 in the SBC after taking a 65-64 loss to the Chanticleers.
After five away games, the team finally made their way back to Strahan Coliseum to start off the new year. The Bobcats began the year with two back-to-back home wins over South Alabama and Troy and improved their SBC record to 3-1.
The team beat South Alabama 78-63 Jan 4. with Leavitt leading the way with 28 points.
Leavitt moved to the second highest number of three-point attempts in school history with 179.
Deer was also honored during the game as the 16th Bobcat to eclipse 1,000 points in Texas State women’s basketball history.
Senior forward Ericka May recorded her second double-double of the season with a season-high of 15 points and 11 boards.
The Bobcats will continue their season with conference games, and the SBC Championship is set for March 6-13 in New Orleans.