Men’s basketball extends win streak to five after 69-68 victory over UTSA

File+Photo
FILE PHOTO
File Photo

Texas State men’s basketball team defeated the University of Texas at San Antonio 69-68 Saturday afternoon at the UTSA Convocation Center. Nijal Pearson led the way for the Bobcats with a game-high of 26 points.
Despite trailing the majority of the first half, Texas State claimed a 28-27 lead after back to back 3’s from junior guard Nijal Pearson.
The second half opened up with a 3 from Nijal Pearson. Texas State had a 56-50 lead until UTSA’s Jhivan Jackson hit back to back 3’s to give UTSA a 59-58 lead with 4:33 left.
Texas State regained a 65-63 lead after a layup from Tre’Larenz Nottingham. However, UTSA quickly responded with a 3 from Jackson.
After a turnover from the Bobcats, Jackson hit both free throws for UTSA to give them a 3 point lead. Following a timeout, Pearson hit a game-tying 3 point shot. The victory was then captured by the Bobcats after a defensive stop and a free throw by Jaylen Shead.
Texas Stats improved to 7-1 on the season, their best start since the 1980-81 season. The Bobcats return to Strahan Arena Dec. 8 against Houston Baptist.