Animal shelter extends adoption special while at max capacity

The San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter adoption center Sept. 26. Photo By Kaiti Evans

The San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter has extended it’s $1 adoption special for dogs and cats through the end of October due to max capacity.
The usual adoption price of a cat or dog is $90, but the shelter is in the process of becoming a no-kill shelter, meaning they would adopt out 90 percent or more of the animals they take in. As of now, the shelter’s live outcome rate is 78 percent, with last year’s rate at 45 percent. The shelter decided to continue the $1 adoption special so its live outcome rate may continue to grow.
Jeff Caldwell, director of neighborhood services for the shelter, said the San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter includes needed surgeries and vaccines in the adoptions, like most shelters.
“All adoptions come with the pet’s spay or neuter, kennel vaccinations, rabies vaccinations, microchip, and city license,” Caldwell said.
The facility takes in stray, lost or owner surrendered animals from all cities within Hays County. Additional services of the shelter include animal control, a volunteer program, public education and a regular host location for Emancipet, a low-cost spay and neuter service. The shelter has had a big push to become no-kill, according to employee Nicholas Pascone.
“We take in a lot of animals from all over Hays county, so everyone wants to have a say in what happens to the animals,” Pascone said. “There’s been a big push for no-kill and we are doing our best to make it happen.”
To adopt a pet, the shelter website states the following requirements must be met:
If you rent your home, you must provide a letter from the landlord giving you permission to have a pet on their property. A pet addendum to your lease will not be accepted. If you own your home, you must provide proof of ownership through a closing agreement, mortgage statement, or county tax records. All people living in the home must meet the pet. If you are adopting a dog, and you or someone who lives in the home owns a dog, that dog must meet the potential adopted dog.
Despite the process, the shelter’s visitors were ready to start adopting. 
“The process was a little longer than I thought it would be, but I’m excited,” said visitor Megan McCabe. “I already have a cat at home, and I want to hopefully find her a friend.”
Caldwell encourages families to adopt a pet from the San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter to save a life.
“This is the perfect time to make an addition to your family and provide a forever one for one of these special animals,” Caldwell said.
For anyone interested in adopting, the shelter is located at 705 River Rd. with business hours from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm. on Saturday. To view all animals available for adoption, visit www.sanmarcostx.gov/animaladoptions . For more information, contact the San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter at 512.805.2657.

• Boxer puppies jump on their cage Sept. 26 at the San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter.

Photo By Kaiti Evans

• Dog waits for visitors to ask to play with him.

Photo By Kaiti Evans

• The sign in front of the San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter adoption center, a public facility. 

• Two kittens sleep in their cage together.

Photo By Kaiti Evans