Student Government confirms Supreme Court justices, passes voter run-off legislation

The new chief of justice and associate justices were sworn in at the Student Government meeting Nov. 12.

Photo by Kaiti Evans

Student Government President Ruben Becerra swore in the new chief of justice and three new associate justices at the Student Government meeting Nov. 12.
Former Justice Brent Bauer was nominated and confirmed as the chief of justice for the Student Government Supreme Court. Three other students, including Iliana Figueroa, William Frank-Cadoree and Travis Walker were nominated and sworn in as associate justices for the Student Government Supreme Court.
The final two director positions were also filled, with Sen. Preston Nieves serving as Director of Freshman Leadership and Sen. Nicolis Cantu as Director of Diversity and Leadership.
Among passed legislation, Sens. Claudia Gasponi and Alexa Browning authored a resolution concerning the student voter run-off policy. The resolution encourages Texas State administration to have a polling station on campus during run-off elections. Additionally, it encourages run-off elections to occur before the spring and fall final exam week to ensure maximization of voters.
Student Government meets at 7 p.m. every Monday in the LBJ Teaching Theatre.