Student Government subcommittee serving international and immigrant students meets for first time

Star File Photo.

Star File Photo.

Star File Photo.

Star File Photo.

Jakob Rodriguez

Following the vote on the piece of legislation that would add an immigration attorney as an on-campus resource, Student Government representatives met in a public subcommittee dedicated to serving International and Immigrant students.

Members of the president’s cabinet, senators, and the president and vice president met briefly after the vote and decided tackling the issue head-on was the best course of action.

Ruben Becerra Jr., subcommittee chair and political science senior, said the subcommittee consisted of five senators who voted for the bill, five senators who voted against it and one additional senator to break any possible ties.

This was done to ensure the passage of any legislation that should come out of the subcommittee and allow opinions on both sides of the aisle to manifest themselves in what the subcommittee chooses to do or not to do.

Student Government representatives took the opportunity to update constituents on what was happening post-vote.

Officials are working toward getting a pro bono immigration attorney on campus to address student questions. They have also scheduled a DACA presentation for Oct. 25.

Student Government has yet to find a definite solution to the original problem of getting a permanent immigration attorney on campus.

Representatives are trying to produce solutions that will efficiently reap the greatest amount of good.

“People need this sooner rather than later,” Becerra said.

Becerra believes the subcommittee meetings bring more awareness to the issue through the weekly updates committee members present.

There’s also been speculation the subcommittee will be a permanent group because immigration reform is a pertinent issue. The subcommittee chair will speak to Connor Clegg, student body president, on whether or not to extend the committee.

“I know we aren’t working as fast as people want us to, but the wheels of bureaucracy turn very slowly. Nothing is instant. It takes work and effort and time,” Becerra said.