(Recap + Photo Gallery) Texas State rises in standings with Georgia Southern victory

Texas State point guard Marlin Davis sprints around Georgia Southern guard Jacob Sowers during the second half of a matchup between the two teams, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

The Texas State men’s basketball team (18-10, 11-6) defeated Georgia Southern (16-12, 10-7) 70-55 Thursday night at Strahan Arena.
The win broke the two from a tie for third place in Sun Belt Conference standings, pushing the Bobcats up in rank with their three-game win streak and 11-6 conference record. With Texas State’s victory and Georgia State’s 70-62 loss to the University of Texas- Arlington on Thursday, the Bobcats are currently tied for second place with Georgia State. Georgia Southern dropped to fourth place with a 10-7 record.
The ‘Cats got out to a hot start, jumping to a 19-6 lead after the first 10 minutes of play and reaching up to a 22-point lead just before halftime.
The Bobcats continued their high level of play in the second half and maintained a double-digit lead throughout the half to take the win.
Senior guard Nijal Pearson led the Bobcats with 20 points on 7-of-13 from the field. Junior guard Marlin Davis stepped up for injured sophomore guard Mason Harrell and scored 16 points, including 3-of-4 from the three.
Texas State will fight for sole possession of second place against Georgia State at 4 p.m. on Saturday in their last regular-season matchup at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State senior guard Nijal Pearson scans the court while dribbling the ball in front of Georgia Southern sophomore guard Elijah McCadden, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State junior forward Quentin Scott attempts a shot against Georgia Southern, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State junior guard Marlin Davis listens to Head Coach Danny Kaspar during a timeout in the second half of a game vs. Georgia Southern, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State sophomore Alonzo Sule jumps and shoots over Georgia Southern junior Quan Jackson, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• The Texas State cheerleaders dance along to a song played before the beginning of the second half of a matchup between Texas State and Georgia Southern, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• The Texas State fencing team performs at halftime of a basketball game between Georgia Southern and Texas State, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State’s mascot, Boko, fist bumps a fan in the crowd of a Texas State men’s basketball game against Georgia Southern, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State junior forward Isiah Small attempts a layup in a matchup vs. Georgia Southern, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State senior forward Eric Terry celebrates a dunk during the first half of a game against Georgia Southern, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State junior Isiah Small attempts a layup over Georgia Southern sophomore Elijah McCadden, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State junior forward Quentin Scott passes the ball to an open teammate, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State senior guard Nijal Pearson dribbles past a Georgia Southern defender, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State junior forward Isiah Small and Georgia Southern senior forward Isaiah Crawley compete for a ball during the tip-off of a matchup between the two teams, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• Texas State’s mascot, Boko, runs onto the basketball court as the starting players are announced for a matchup between Texas State and Georgia Southern, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020, at Strahan Arena.

• IMG_1074