Best Pizza: Gumby’s

Best Pizza: Gumby’s

Gumby’s pizza was first opened in January of 2009. The owners, Adam Higdons and his brother Forrest went to school at Texas State. Adam said the brothers came back to San Marcos to spread the joy of quality pizza with San Marcos.

“Both me and my brother went to school here and decided there was a lack of a good pizza place, so we came back and made one,” Adam said.

There are several items on the menu, but Adam said one of the most popular items is called the “Stoner’s Pie.” The pie features mozzarella sticks, french fries, bacon and a whole lot more.

“I think it’s half of the name, half of the combination of ingredients,” Adam said. “I think a lot of people take it as a novelty and it doesn’t taste bad, so it’s not only a novelty but something you enjoy eating.”

Ginny Cox is a current manager at Gumby’s Pizza and has worked there for seven years. Cox said she likes the excitement of the job and the new location.

“At this new location we have the slice counter. Working the slice counter up front with the cashiers is really fun. It’s just really exciting,” Cox said. “We get tons of people in from the square, there is always something really hilarious or crazy going on at night”.

However, because of the COVID-19 outbreak, the typical nights have slowed down dramatically. Adam said they have started a new deal to help their local business and to ease their customers.

“Everybody’s having to stay home, we are not able to do the same kind of business, we are not able to sell things out of the bar, so we are selling actual bottles of Titos, Jose Cuervo, Jim Beam, that you can add onto your orders, same thing with frozen margaritas,” Adam said.

Gumby’s Pizza is located at 312 W Hopkins St.

2nd place:Pie Society
3rd place: Figaro’s Pizza and Pub