Mala Luna day two ends with high-energy crowds

Rapper Keenon “YG” Jackson, performs at San Antonio Mala Luna music festival.

With the shining sun and crop tops as far as the eye could see, day two of the biggest music festival in San Antonio—Mala Luna—brought an even larger and louder crowd, ending the weekend with a bang. 
Starting at noon sharp, long lines of eager festival-goers filled the entrances of Wolff Stadium from the start of the day to the very end of the night before the last set. Sunday brought a famous lineup including Megan Thee Stallion, Trippie Redd, DaBaby, Playboi Carti, Diplo and Juice WRLD.
As the day carried on, more expansive, tighter crowds gathered at both stages to get the best view of their favorite artists. Though some people prefer mosh pits, others gladly took the free space in the back to sing and dance. 
As the music began and lights went down, one person in the back of the crowd pushed and—like a domino effect—everyone else followed. Being pressed up against strangers, it is easy to become friends with those around as everyone sings along to popular songs. 
Jadan Ross, electronic media freshman, said she could not get enough of the festival vibe and the people making the experience worthwhile. Close friends keep her coming back to Mala Luna.   
 “No matter if you are with your friends or with random people in the crowd, they want to sing and dance and vibe with you,” Ross said.    
A circle of people opened up in the middle of the dense crowd, hyping everyone up while waiting for the beat to drop and jump back into the mosh pit. The only way to survive such large masses of people is to go along with the movements or tap out. Before Playboy Carti’s set, the bouncer warned the crowd to get out of the mosh pit if they were scared.        
Within the first 15 minutes of the artist’s set, people began to push vigorously to escape the mosh pit and some passed out due to overcrowding and pushing. Ambulances showed up on-site while the sound of Playboi Carti’s hit songs continued to amplify in the background. 
After the commotion, hordes of people lined up to refill their CamelBaks and find a spot to listen to the last two sets—Juice WRLD and Diplo—from a distance to end the night. As people began to leave the grounds, even bigger groups of people were making their way into the festival for the last performances.     
People could be seen passing time by finishing their last-minute assignments for class the next day. Coby Johnston, public relations freshman, wrote his 800-word essay due at 11:59 p.m. throughout the day and in the middle of mosh pits.     
“I have met a lot of really cool people today willing to let me use their hot spots, especially the lady who edited my essay while waiting for Meg Thee Stallion—she saved my life,” Johnston said. 
Nia Avret, University of El Paso student, enjoyed the festival even after her eight-hour drive to the jam-packed two days of Mala Luna.
“My favorite part of the festival was Summer Walker despite all of the difficulties with her set,” Avret said. “The overall energy of the day was far more chill.”  
Even with various difficulties that inevitably arise at music festivals, Mala Luna did not fail to provide a jam-packed, talented, fun weekend for the people of San Antonio and beyond. Keeping the spirit of San Antonio and hip-hop alive, the success of the festival kept people wanting more.